Nebraska Scholastic Wrestling Coaches Association Rankings 1/10/20
Class A Top 10 Meet Teams
1. Millard South
2. Lincoln East
4. Grand Island
5. Omaha Burke
6. Omaha Central
9. Papillion LaVista South
10. North Platte
COMMENTS: Nothing has changed at the top, as Millard South continues to roll, even when they are missing a guy or two in a meet…just too much firepower! It WILL be a good battle for 2nd, with everyone from #2 to #6 I think in the mix right now. Lots to be seen yet thi sseason!
Class A Top 10 Dual Meet Teams
1. Millard South
2. Grand Island
3. Lincoln East
6. Omaha Burke
7. Papillion LaVista South
8. Papillion LaVista
9. North Platte
COMMENTS: Again, Millard South DOMINATES in duals, with their closest dual in NE a 46 – 25 win over Class B #1 Hastings recently, while missing 2-3 starters! They figure to get Antrell taylor back any day now, so they get even tougher moving forward. Lots of good duals I’m seeing around Class a, but nobody will challenge MS barring injury.
TOP 6 INDIVIDUALS
1. Keith Smith Lincoln East
2. Adrian Bice Columbus
3. Ein Obermiller Grand Island
4. Avery Russell Millard West
5. Tyler Durden Papillion LaVista South
6. Mohamed Abdi Omaha Bryan
COMMENTS: Smith remains #1; wrestled a great match against Bennington’s #1 rated B kid Lauridson, losing by 1…was on the next mat….great match! Bice is somebody new to me…really looking good! Durden and Abdi move in at #5 and #6 after some good wins.
1. Brandon Baustert Lincoln East
2. Archer Heelan Kearney
3. Caleb Coyle Millard South
4. Julio Reyes Omaha Burke
5. Noor Salat Omaha Bryan
6. Landon McLaughlin Lincoln Southwest
COMMENTS: Baustert stiil rules 113, with some talented kids right behind him. Good depth at this weight, and should be very competitive moving forward!
1. Garrett Grice Bellevue East
2. Emilio Haynes Omaha Central
3. Nathan Rubino Omaha Burke
4. Juan Pedro Grand Island
5. Joel Adams Millard South
6. Clay Cerny Columbus
COMMENTS: My stud Grice is almost down…will be at 120 for Metros next Friday. He is a special kid folks, and I’m blessed to coach him. Pure class, on and off the mat. Haynes is determined to find a way to avenge last season’s 1 point State Finals match, and is the favorite to meet Garrett in the Finals again this year. Good depth at this weight.
1. Jakason Burkes Omaha Burke
2. Gabe Grice Omaha Central
3. Blake Cushing Grand Island
4. Ian Rudner Papillion LaVista
5. Jaylan Ruffin North Platte
6. Rylie Steele Kearney
COMMENTS: Mr. Burks, the man…is he going 126? Or 132? Rumors swirl. I do know he is the best in the State, especially after he beat my Grice 5-4 in a dream match (neither kid really wanted to see- are good friends and workout partners at MWC club) at the GI Fracas. Gabe Grice is about to hit the scene, so that will be interesting to see how he matches up with others in this weight class. Cushing is VERY tough, and there is surprising good depth at this weight, considering Burks is here.
1. Conor Knopick Millard South
2. Darian Diaz North Platte
3. Daniel DeRosier Bellevue East
4. Tanner Kobza Columbus
5. Abdi Mohamed Omaha Bryan
6. Daniel Schuman Elkhorn South
COMMENTS: Knopick is still #1, with Diaz of NP about ready to start up any day. This weight is stacked with skilled kids, and there is sure to be a great Finals match here at State.
1. Tyler Antoniak Millard South
2. Brayden Smith Kearney
3. Stone Sindelar Papillion LaVista South
4. Caelan Hester Bellevue East
5. Brody Arrants Grand Island
6. James Looney Omaha Burke
COMMENTS: Another weight class with a MS wrestler atop the rankings…go figure! Another hammer for the Patriots, with Smith also in the mix. Sindelar moves over Hester after beating him pretty comfortably at the GI Fracas. Good depth at 138 also.
1. Antrell Taylor Millard South
2. Brecklin Sperling Lincoln East
3. Alex Irizarry Papillion LaVista South
4. Gage Ferguson Kearney
5. Corbin Meink Millard North
6. Peyton Martinez South Sioux City
COMMENTS: Taylor may be wrestling as I type this, as he comes back for a dual this week I understand, making MS even tougher, if you can believe that. Certainly no shortage of talented wrestlers here, so State should be fun!
1. Cole Price Papillion LaVista
2. Deon Davis Omaha Central
3. Josh Licking Norfolk
4. Gauge McBride Kearney
5. Scott Robertson Millard South
6. Caleb Conner Papillion LaVista South
COMMENTS: With Mayfields apparent move to 160 seemingly a done deal, Price moves in
as #1. Davis is a tremendous athlete and a pinner, and is capable of giving Price all he wants, and the rest of the rankings are full of skilled kids who can make noise at State. Good weight!
1. Maxx Mayfield Lincoln East
2. Deson Stapleton Omaha Burke
3. Brayden Splater Norfolk
4. Ayden Welch Elkhorn South
5. Tommy Wentz Fremont
6. Guillermo Espinoza Millard North
COMMENTS: Mayfield moves up to 160 and immediately assumes the #1 spot. Plenty of bummed out 160 pounders in Class A! But there is nice depth here, and the battles for medals at State should be intense.
1. Grant Lyman Lincoln East
2. Blaze Standley Columbus
3. Justin Davis Omaha Central
4. Cash Arensdorf North Platte
5. Jack McConnell Bellevue West
6. Carter Abels Kearney
COMMENTS: Lyman still rules 170, but Standley has been wrestling very well, prompting a move to #2, Davis is a talented athlete as well as the others rated here. Jack McConnell – All State 1st team Linebacker for West’s championship team, is back, and should do very well at 170 – tough, good kid! He was the guy who almost derailed a sick James Burks at State last year, losing 10-8…..watch out for him!
1. Anthony DeAnda Columbus
2. Gavin Brauer North Platte
3. Carson Maas Papillion LaVista
4. Cole Haberman Omaha Westside
5. Ian Byington Millard South
6. Edward Lankas Lincoln East
COMMENTS: DeAnda has lost a couple to tough guys out of state and class, and remains #1 in A. He is certainly beatable, and I think 182 will be one of the most competitive weights at State this season. Good depth, several guys have beaten each other…should make for February fun to watch at State!
1. Kasten Grape Columbus
2. Tony Pray Omaha Creighton Prep
3. Chris Wortman Millard South
4. Jackson Arend Gretna
5. Alex Hunt Kearney
6. Jackson Arend Gretna
COMMENTS: Grape is an undefeated hammer at 195..he and Pray seem destined for another matchup in the Finals. Wortman has won some good matches lately, adding yet another weapon to the MS arsenal. Not a real deep weight in my opinion, but maybe some guys will rise up as the season progresses.
1. Isaac Trumble Millard South
2. Jaylon Walker Omaha Bryan
3. Tyler Robinson Papillion LaVista South
4. Garrett Moser Fremont
5. Breken Heiman Gretna
6. Eli Nitzel Lincoln Southwest
COMMENTS: Trumble is simply a stud, nice kid, super talented wrestler, and a great future. Walker is probably the guy most likely to challenge him, although Robinson has really improved in the past 2 seasons, and will likely give Walker a good go. The rest are tough kids as well, but perhaps a notch below the top 2-3 kids. We will see in February!
1. Cade Haberman Omaha Westside
2. Jacob Frezell-McClinton Omaha Central
3. Jayden Schrader Lincoln Northeast
4. Jacob Ngeleka South Sioux City
5. Nolan Olafson Omaha Burke
6. Preston Welch Bellevue East
COMMENTS: Not much movement here, with Haberman still atop the 285 class in A. Schrader has had some great wins of late and has risen. This is a VERY deep weight, almost sure to provide some surprises at State. In the ”push me, pull me, pin me” world of the Heavyweights, you never know what will happen!