Become A Member

Nebraska Wrestling Coaches Forum

Serpentine

This would be a great place to discuss topics such as the district serpentine. I know our AD here in Valentine is against it. One reason is travel, which has been discussed at length, another reason would be district hosts. Valentine, Mitchell, Scottsbluff, Chadron, and all schools not centrally located would probably never get to host districts if the whole state was required to serpentine . This is a lot of money brought into these small communities. The travel is more of an issue than many coaches and AD's realize back east. We are 5 and 1/2 hours from Omaha and 3 and 1/2 from Scottsbluff. Not sure how long of drive it is from Nebraska City to Chadron, but I am guessing no one wants to make that trip the week before the state meet. Lack of sleep leads to kids getting sick. So you have to put districts in a centrally located location, which means outliers never get to host. With that said it would be the fairest way to qualify, but at what cost? I am ok with splitting the state in two and then serpentine the two districts on each side of the state.

I am interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on the topic.

Shane Allison
Valentine High School